What Changes Occur During Pregnancy?
Progesterone and relaxin hormones causes a laxity or loosening of ligaments and joints in the body, a necessity for a women to carry a baby to full term. However, these higher levels of hormones can increase the risk of sprains and strains due to the increased fragility of ligaments.
A pregnant women’s body shape and posture also changes as the months goes by. Her breasts increases in size, her abdomen becomes bigger and increasing the concave curvature of her lower back.
The combined effect shifts the centre of gravity forward and places more body weight in the lower back, pubic bone and hip regions. This process also affect the circulation of the body, as a result pregnant women can often experience water retention in the face, hands and feet.
Conditions That Can Occur During Pregnancy:
Osteopathy can Prepare the Pelvis for Natural Labour
Weeks before the labour the body naturally prepares itself for the birth by allowing the bones of the pelvis to open and maximise the pelvic cavity for the baby to pass through.
Trauma to the pelvic bones, coccyx or sacrum at any time in a mother’s life can cause increase tension in muscles and ligaments and the misalignment of bones within the pelvis.
This can limit the ability of these bones to separate and move out of the way during labour, and thus limit the size of the pelvic outlet.
Osteopathic treatment is extremely effective at releasing old strains within the pelvis, thus giving the best chance of an easy, quick and uncomplicated labour.
Is it safe to have osteopathic treatment during pregnancy?
Osteopathy is safe and gentle for both mother and baby. The techniques used during pregnancy are carefully selected to minimise any risk. These techniques are gentle and the comfort of the mother is always taken into consideration and may be adapted to suit each patient.
Pregnant patients can tell the osteopath how comfortable they are in certain positions, Osteopaths accommodate any woman, regardless of size.
Booking and Payments
- Book via my online booking system, It is really easy! Convenient, saving you time.
- It is also the one click you can make today to prioritise your health and get the check up you need. The first step to sorting out your aches and niggles.
- If you need to cancel a booking, a 24 hour cancellation period is required. If you cancel with greater than 24 hours notice, (day before) I can reschedule your appointment or I can issue a card payment reversal.
- If you do not show up to the appointment you will not receive a refund and if you arrive late for your appointment, the full amount will still be charged, and your session will end at the allotted time.
- There will be no refund on any treatment provided, or missed appointments.